Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day of School

"It's harder on you than it is on them."

"It's easier to just drop and go."

"Call if you need anything."

These were all the things that I used to tell parents when I was the teacher and they were dropping off their babies into my care. I would sometimes even take it personally that they did not trust me enough and were upset about leaving their child. Did they think I could not take care of them? I have realized that it is nothing personal---it is your child that you are leaving. It doesn't matter where or with whom. It's heartbreaking. I have finally realized that--now that I am on the other side of the fence, dropping off my child.

I am grateful that I am dropping my child off into the arms of a friend and in a place that I spent 7 years of my life in, as an employee where parents entrusted their most beloved. Only now do I truly appreciate what a huge responsibility that is. It is a comfort to me knowing that when I drop him off he will be in a place that is welcoming, homey and will be watched over well.

So even though my heart was breaking a little this morning, and I had said the same words many times to new parents whose hearts were breaking, I was the parent that needed to hear those words: "It's much harder on you that it is on them and he will do great."

I know he will do great, and I will get there too...eventually.

Cristian with Ms. Adriana on his first day of school

2 comments: