Okay, so fair warning--I am feeling a bit on the sappy side. Not necessarily because it is Valentine's Day. I do not subscribe to the commercialization of buying flowers at three times their price or chocolate that is somehow more special today than any other day of the year. It also does not mean that I have to go out of my way to shower my significant other with love and attention--I like to think that we do that for each other year round, which makes Valentine's Day insignificant. Granted, we did say "Happy Valentine's Day" to each other when we woke up and I will probably tell him again tonight. However, I see Valentine's Day as more of a time to reflect.
I have shared the last ten V Day's with the same person and I feel very fortunate that every day when I wake up with him, I feel happier than the last. He is pretty amazing--he loves me at my best, worst and every point in between. He knows that I have a mouth like a sailor and doesn't tell me to act like a lady. We can watch and enjoy football together, but he knows that I will not go near a basketball game. It's the squeaky sneakers--they get to me every time! We love to watch movies together though he is much more cultured when it comes to choosing a movie, but I do not require him to watch chick flicks and I do not have to suffer through old black and white films. These compromises have been smoothed out through these ten years and works pretty well, I must say. I love to read and he likes to choose that moment to want to talk to me. The same way that he loves to play his computer games and THAT happens to be the time when I just HAVE to talk to him. :) It truly never fails.
...and as we celebrate our 10th Valentine's Day together we have something else that we can celebrate--welcoming our baby boy in a little over two months. We are getting very excited to see him, hold him and love him but I am selfish enough to say that I am really trying to enjoy the remaining "just us" time that the hubby and I have. Time with my best friend to relax, talk, and not have to worry about anything else. Our lives are about to change drastically, but it will be a change that enhances our life rather than hinders it. I already love this baby very much and I can't wait until we get to hold him for the first time. Next Valentine's Day I may have to get into the commercialization just a bit because I am sure that my sappiness will have runneth over!

No comments:
Post a Comment