 |
| Ready to Go! |
I recently returned from my very first trip to Europe-in fact, it was my very first plane ride. ANYWHERE! I was very unsure where my parents were taking me. First, I was pushed around in a stroller through a very crowded area and then walked through this thing that made noise-you got in trouble by the uniformed people if you had something you shouldn't. They had to open Mommy's bag and asked her about my bottles. I thought for sure they were going to take them--I had my cry ready to go, but they ended up just putting them back in the bag. There were so many people everywhere that I was unsure where to look first. Watching the people was my favorite part. However, everyone seemed to be in a big hurry.
Then we went on an airplane that was really, really good at putting me to sleep. I made friends with the Ukrainian woman sitting next to me and we had a good time while I was awake. She had a very comfy looking sweater with big holes. I tried to put my fingers in them every chance I got to pull the strings. She did not seem to mind at all. I smiled each time and it seemed to make her smile as well.
 |
| The Long Long Plane Ride |
At the end of that long, long ride we arrived in Bucharest, Romania. I am told this is where my Dad was born and raised- now I am here to meet my strabunica and many other Petrescu family members. We stayed with Anca and Relu (I had met them already when I was one month old during their trip to Tampa). It was very nice to stay with Anca. She gave me a bath, a nice place to sleep and walked me around her neighborhood. I think I would like to do that again sometime.
 |
| Comfortable on Anca's Couch |
As I mentioned, I met my strabunica (great grandma to all non-romanian speakers) and I think this meant a lot to my Daddy. I made sure to smile big in my pictures, but sometimes I was caught off guard and they were not my best shots.We walked around Bucharest and took some pictures--I slept a lot while in the stroller, but I made it into the pictures! We took a picture by a big arch, which I saw again in Paris (weird), rode on a huge bus that talked about these different places, and went to eat in a restaurant where I ate ciorba (soup). It was a great time but very short. I hope thay I can go back when I am a little older.
 |
| Cultural Center in Bucharest |
 |
| Arch in the background |
 |
| Double Decker Bus Ride! |
We then got on another airplane and this time we went to a place called Paris. I figured this was important too as Mommy kept talking about seeing different things-something called Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triumph, the Lourve- things I had no idea about.
When we got there we had to fit into a taxi that took us through the rain into the city. There was a lot of traffic so the driver (who talked a lot to my Daddy) took us the long way to our hotel. I loved the taxi ride-I sat on grandma's lap. I soon fell asleep and when I woke up we were at the hotel. I even had a crib waiting for me- I enjoyed sitting in it and playing with my toys.
 |
| Petrescu Family at Notre Dame |
We did plenty of walking in Paris. Well, the grownups walked while I strolled. The first day we went to Notre Dame. From what mom says I will someday know about some guy named Quasimodo and a damsel named Esmeralda. Not sure what this means but I am pretty lost with most adult conversations. Notre Dame was a very pretty building though and the scary looking things (which Daddy said were gargoyles) were pretty cool too. We even took a group picture that first night.
The next day was a doozy. We started to walk and the adults stopped at a small cafe to eat while I people-watched. Then... it started raining. Not like the pounding rain at home, this was a cold, wet drizzle. The adults were not too happy about this. Mommy put me in my carrier and covered me with the umbrella and we made our way to the Lourve Museum. Since I was so warm and cozy against Mommy, I fell asleep. I even slept through these pictures that Mommy and Daddy took on a bridge over the Seine River that was covered in locks. I am not sure what the locks were representative of, but the pictures certainly look pretty cool. From what can be gathered by wikipedia, "Love padlocks (also known as love locks and, in Taiwan, wish locks) are a custom by which
padlocks are affixed to a fence, gate, bridge or similar public fixture by sweethearts at an increasing number of locations in the world to symbolize their everlasting love."
 |
| If you look on the wall to the left, there is the Monna Lisa |
Once in the Lourve, I took a picture with the Monna Lisa in the background. I took it from far away because there so many people trying to snap pictures of the painting that sat behind glass and I was very confused. Mommy said that someday I will understand the value of the art held at the Lourve but I do not understand what that means either. Right now I just know that there are.paintings on the walls there and I have paintings on the walls at home. Big deal! We also saw people made of stone-I was told they are called statues. Statues of Greek and Roman figures-Venus was a very popular exhibit, almost as popular as the Monna Lisa.
 |
| With my grandparents and Mommy! |
 |
| Love the paintings! |
 |
| Mommy was able to take a picture with the picture! |
Then we walked a LONG way down the road to the Arc de Triomphe. Very cool (even though I saw one in Bucharest) and I heard it has something to do with some guy named Napolean....dynamite, maybe? I kid, I kid.
Next was the Eiffel Tower, or as it is known in Paris, Le Tour Eiffel. It is so pretty at night-- lit up in the sky. We took a few pictures in front of it. Then it started sparkling! I think the clouds were scared by the sparkles because it started to pour rain! We had to jump into a taxi but not all of us could fit. Daddy and Uncle Matei rode the metro. They were soaked when they got to the hotel but I was nice and dry and that was what mattered to Daddy.
Since it started raining the night before, Mommy, Daddy and I took a walk to the tower the next day. We stayed in the hotel that morning because I was not feeling so well and needed some extra rest. By the afternoon I was ready to get out and explore. I even had my dinner in the park next to the Eiffel Tower! How fancy! It was a very nice afternoon sunny skies and crisp air. Of course, there were more pictures that needed to be taken. Some with Mommy, some with Daddy and one with all of us together.
 |
| Versailles with the family |
Thinking that there couldn't possibly be anything more that could be seen, the next (and last) day in Paris we took the subway to Versailles. It was huge! And beautiful! So much to see! There was a hallway full of mirrors and considering how much I love mirrors, it was by far my favorite part. I could see myself everywhere. The gardens were pretty too. Mommy was very excited to visit this huge place. She talked about some guy named Louis and a woman named Marie Antoinette--I think she also said something about eating cake.
We went back and walked around Paris the rest of that day to pick up a few things to take home.We spent a lot of time in the cafes around Paris. They had a lot of them and it seemed like they were always busy no matter the time of day. Most of the time I slept through our time there, but sometimes I was awake:
 |
| I was a sleepy boy! |
 |
| ...but I can still flash a smile |
 |
| All the Petrescu men! |
We had a great time and I had a lot of great experiences---I think I may even let Mommy and Daddy catch up on sleep this week and not wake up at 3 a.m. for my pacifier. Nah, I will still wake them up. :)
There are more pictures to come, but Mommy made me hurry to get this blog post up!
No comments:
Post a Comment